Saturday, January 4, 2014

"Neither god nor worm"

Human beings are neither gods nor helpless animals.  Sometimes it's easy to say, "It's ALL my fault" and to carry the weight of the world on our shoulders.  Other times, it's easy to say, "NONE of it's my fault!  I'm the VICTIM of my upbringing/conditioning/circumstances."  Neither of these are true.  

"When men in fear take to extremes, the truth lay somewhere in between" - Micah-Joel Tuhy



“Neither god nor worm that man must be.”


As every man must face his fate
with sword, in shrift, or fierce debate
I must in earnest take a stand
to be no more than but a man.

Though Atlas bears titanic tons
and Heroes hoist the heaven’s high
I am mere mortal, and but one
contented with one death to die.

Though Heracles cleaves hydra’s heads
And Caesar conquers Roman Gaul
I, [] stand fat and sit well fed.
with no excuse, no, none at all.

Yet still I rise to disagree
renounce your claims of agony
rebuke your miscast misery
as something made or dealt by me.

Of many charges left to do,
Not among them has been You.
Your life, YOUR life, success or strife,
is yours, at ease or point of knife.

For thus my will is to be mine.
Just as your life is to be thine.
for in my time, the truth sublime
unveils itself before my mind

Your gifts are yours, from God was gave
so hold me not as Lord or slave.
I am but man as I began
Professing only this brief stand:

As I cannot command the morn
nor choose the place where I was born
I won’t be held responsible
for that which I’ve had no control.

This then is the work of man
and all that he can understand.
content thy work towards what will change
leave curses to those mad deranged

Do not blame fate or gods complain
Become the master of your pain.

Though we can’t choose to cease to bleed
the choice is ours to choose to see
beyond our wounds, beyond our blood
beyond the heavens, hells and mud.

Let mortals bear what mortals can,
and stand but proudly, yet as men.

No comments:

Post a Comment