Sunday, February 2, 2014

"Tolkienetic Energy" and "I've met a Dreamer and a Dream"

Some of my favorite poems are written in my own form that I call the "112".

It consists of fourteen lines, 8 beats per line (hence 112 total beats) with 3 stanzas that go 5-4-5.

The Rhyme scheme is a simple one which attempts to reconnect the end of the poem with the beginning.

First Stanza

a
b
a
b
b

Second Stanza

c
d
c
d

Third Stanza

e
b
e
b
b.

The idea of reconnecting the final idea to a previous idea is to give the poem a profound feel of return to its origin.  The first poem of this model was Circa Regna Tonat, which I then repeated with such poems like "Not I, Says We", "Library Girl", "Clouded Sight in Need of Reflection in Light", "Evey", and "Bitterness Unresolved", all of whom probably deserve their own posts.

These two poems find themselves inspired by the same source.

“Tolkienetic Energy”               


Fair Luthien the Elvin maid
who sang so sweet the gods were sad
that of her beauty it is said
could move the melancholy glad
and make mere mortal men go mad.

But Tolkien's tales do not give warmth
when mused upon in lonely light
Incarnate heart, tis this the hearth
that comforts cold and darkest night

Yet still have fairy tales their place
to stir the hopes of lass and lad         
But Thou, with Thy immortal face
remind me of such memories had
and make mere mind of mine go mad.



"I've met a Dreamer and a Dream"

In recent days I've had surprise
to meet a dreamer and a dream
without pretense or base disguise
appears to be or so it seem
to be much more than but a dream.

Though eyes and ear been fooled before
since my desire be oh so vast
has seen what wish would have in store
and thus my hope in past, miscast.

In spite of doubt I still believe
this pilgrim without guile or scheme
yet know not to rejoice or grieve
to hear new music swell its theme -
I've met a dreamer, and a dream.





No comments:

Post a Comment